Communications Advisor (Job ID: 202010-03)
Status: Full-time, Temporary, one-year (possibility of extension) | Vacancies: One | FTE: 1.0 | Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Are you passionate about communications? Do you enjoy collaborating on projects, strategy, and reporting? Are you a strong writer and editor?
Reporting to the Director of Member Services & Engagement, the Communications Advisor plays a crucial role in supporting both new and existing initiatives by creating program and project-specific strategic communications plans and executing tactics that support the communications objectives of the Calgary West Central Primary Care Network (CWC PCN).
A valued member of our team, you will proactively develop and implement communications strategies and tactics that are clear, consistent, and engaging.
The incumbent works closely with other Communications team members and key stakeholders to develop, deliver, and implement projects.
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to, the following:
Strategic communications planning
- Identify opportunities to implement a strategic communications approach in support of goals and desired outcomes.
- Develop solutions to help solve problems for internal stakeholders by offering strategic counsel and actionable insights.
- Write comprehensive strategic communications plans with measurable objectives.
- Ensure communications are audience-appropriate by using personas, testing key messages and concepts, and analyzing metrics.
- Collaborate to build and maintain an annual editorial calendar to identify and schedule external and internal communication initiatives.
- Maintain professionalism and customer service excellence when interacting with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Stay on top of emerging trends and technologies.
- Research the communications landscape, including our partners, government, and similar organizations within the healthcare industry, to inform strategic plans.
- Assist with project management and program planning activities where required.
- Collaborate regularly and effectively with other functional groups to ensure effective planning and risk mitigation. Responsibilities include regular attendance and contributions at team and project meetings for assigned portfolios. Plan, implement, and monitor improvement activities as appropriate.
Writing and editing
- Ensure writing tone and style are on-brand.
- Demonstrate a professional-level of writing, ensuring strong spelling and grammar, ensuring work products are error-free.
- Operate as an editor and publisher of content in collaboration with the team. Peer edit documents and other written materials, in compliance with Canadian Press style.
- Proofread and edit all materials before publication to ensure accuracy and consistency with CWC PCN brand and style guidelines.
- Communicate complex processes in simple terms.
- Write compelling headlines, long- and short-form content, including stories, reports, image captions and storyboards for videos and podcasts, ensuring alignment with brand voice, tone, and style.
- In collaboration with the Communications team, develop content for and support communications channel management such as e-newsletters.
- Provide ongoing communications support to CWC PCN departments and managers to ensure communications are aligned, effective, and timely.
- Set and meet deadlines.
- Coordinate creative projects with internal and external stakeholders to ensure collateral is on-brand and completed on time and within budget.
- Maintain up-to-date project tasks in project management software.
Measurement and reporting
- Read and evaluate Google Analytics reports, prioritizing areas of focus.
- Provide ongoing reports and feedback for continuous improvement and optimization.
- Review and communicate all campaign and project deliverables' status with the Communications team, project teams, and other key stakeholders.
- Provide timely and accurate information for various CWC PCN meetings, including departmental meetings, Leadership Team meetings, Board meetings, etc. Participates in meetings as needed.
- Ensure the Director of Member Services & Engagement is kept abreast of all relevant initiatives and has the information needed to liaise effectively with the Executive Director and members of the Board as required and determine program direction and effectiveness.
- Maintain a positive attitude and act as an ambassador for the CWC PCN.
- Adhere to the highest standard of quality, ensuring that all materials designed and developed are without intentional error, have met with compliance approval and exemplify the CWC PCN brand.
- Assist with back-up coverage for other team members' responsibilities, as necessary.
- Assist with other project and advisory duties, as assigned.
As the ideal candidate, you will demonstrate a positive and professional attitude, strong communication skills and abilities, as well as a proficient level of digital and social media strategy, community management, and relationship-building skills. You will possess high levels of intrinsic motivation, and be insightful and outgoing with a focus on critical thinking.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in communications, digital marketing, or related area.
Knowledge: Advanced abilities in using Microsoft Office (especially MS Excel), social media platforms and dashboards, content management systems, digital communications software, analytics, and reporting tools. Advanced writing and editing skills. Experience writing and editing in compliance with Canadian Press style standards considered an asset.
Experience: Minimum of five years of experience in the communications profession. Minimum of three years of client management and collaborative projects experience. Experience with primary care, healthcare research, and knowledge of the Alberta healthcare system is considered an asset.
Research: Ability to effectively search for relevant information, analyze its significance to the organization, and present and share information in the most appropriate manner.
Organizational skills: Ability to multi-task and prioritize. Strong organizational skills. Proven ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines in a highly challenging and forward-thinking environment.
Communications and customer relations skills: Strong verbal and written communication skills, interpersonal skills, and relationship-building skills; able to handle requests, criticism, and complaints in a professional, non-confrontational manner. Discretion and ability to handle sensitive information and material appropriately. Ability to present information clearly and succinctly.
Attention to detail: Precision, accuracy, and high attention to detail in all aspects of work.
Team-oriented: Ability to work effectively independently as well as with a team.
Travel: Occasional travel within Calgary for meetings, seminars, and other events as required. Travel to other areas of Alberta may be required on an infrequent basis.
Hours of work: Occasional evening and weekend work is required.
Background check: Clear Criminal Background required to start.
Why work for us?
Employees of the CWC PCN enjoy a competitive salary and benefits package that includes employer-paid premiums for health and dental benefits, health spending/wellness account, learning account, eligibility to contribute to our group RRSP plan and receive an employer match, flexible working options, generous vacation and personal time off allowances, education days, as well as professional development opportunities.
The CWC PCN is a leader in the provision of primary care through collaboration, innovation and teamwork, creating healthy patients and satisfied providers.
How to apply
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, only those who apply through the CWC PCN website will be moved forward in the recruitment process. This is a necessary step as we require important information from our online application form. Please include your cover letter and resume when submitting your application.
Submit your application through the CWC PCN Careers page.
Only submissions received with the following three (3) documents will be considered:
- Completed and signed application form (available on the CWC PCN Careers page).
- Cover letter
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Posting will remain open until the role is filled.