External Director (Volunteer Board member)
The Board of Directors is the legal authority for the Calgary West Central P.G. CO. (CWC P.G. CO.), a not-for-profit corporation comprised of community-based primary care providers. Through a joint venture with Alberta Health Services, the CWC P.G. CO. guides the Calgary West Central Primary Care Network in their mission to support physician members and their patients in the southwest of Calgary.
The CWC P.G. CO. is seeking to appoint a volunteer External Director to its Board for a three-year term, preference will be given to someone with a financial accounting background. The primary purpose of the External Director is to bring objective scrutiny to Board discussions and to act as a fiduciary for the organization. As a volunteer Board member, the External Director is ineligible to receive compensation.
Activities associated with being a member of the Board:
- Preparing for and attending Board meetings, the Annual General Meeting and other meetings of the membership, including the annual Strategic Board Planning Retreat.
- Serving as a member of the Finance, Audit & Risk Committee.
- Reviewing annual and semi-annual budgets, business plans, business plan amendments, mid-year reports, audits and significant organizational expenditures.
- Participating in discussions and decisions on matters of strategy, policy, finance, programs, personnel and advocacy.
The External Director will be passionate about not-for-profit work, able to fully commit to Board responsibilities and policies, and be willing to contribute constructively and respectfully in Board and subcommittee meetings. As a member of the Board, the External Director must also possess sophisticated and thoughtful communication skills and be eager to build trusting relationships with fellow Board members and senior staff.
- Knowledge of issues related to not-for-profit financial and legal governance.
- Knowledge and skills in one or more areas of Board governance (i.e., policy, finance, programs, personnel or advocacy) and an understanding of the distinction between the Board, the Executive Director and staff.
- CPA accounting designation would be considered an asset.
How to Apply
Please submit your application via email to email@example.com. Only submissions with the following two (2) documents will be considered:
- Cover letter
A clear criminal background and vulnerable sector check from the province you have resided in for the past 12 months will also be required in order to be eligible for this position.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Please note: The CWC PCN is searching for an External Director to serve on the Board and is not seeking a qualified Chartered Professional Accountant to provide financial accounting services to the organization.
Find a Clinic
The Calgary West Central PCN is made up of 465 physicians in over 135 clinics.
find one near you