Health Information Coordinator (Full-time, Permanent)
Reporting to the Manager of Patient Care Coordinators, the Health Information Coordinator (HIC) is an integral and active member of the Calgary West Central Primary Care Network’s (CWC PCN) Patient Medical Home (PMH) team. The HIC supports physicians and PMH team members in Electronic Medical Records (EMR)/data management, the implementation of improvement projects and the coordination of patient care to improve overall patient outcomes. The nature of the incumbent’s work is determined by the improvement projects being undertaken.
Using computer skills and knowledge of healthcare fundamentals, the HIC will coordinate health information by using clinical practice guidelines and assist the PMH team in providing robust, quality information to physician members to support the medical home.
The Health Information Coordinator will work with all members of the PMH team in a coordinated and collaborative effort to engage, encourage and support patient health.
EMR data standardization
- Clean up and maintain the physician’s panel according to their parameters; coordinate with physician and clinic staff
- Support the development of pre- and post-encounter processes (e.g., identify missing vitals, lab results or screening, referrals to external organizations, etc.)
- Ensure results of recent tests and procedures are available to providers (e.g. information available on Alberta Netcare)
- Flag patient charts for physicians and clinic staff in order to notify them of specific actions to be taken (e.g. opportunistic screenings due)
- Create templates in the EMR outlined in an improvement project as required
EMR data extraction
- Extract data required using data extraction worksheets
- Review and audit EMR data to ensure accuracy
- Support the facilitation of discussions with physicians regarding the results of an analytic report concerning a patient population of interest
- Monitor improvement projects with run charts
Support the implementation of improvement projects
- Build and nurture relationships with PMH team members, physicians, clinic management and staff
- Assist in planning PMH meetings with the PMH team including the physicians and clinic-based staff
- Set up regular scheduled time in clinic that is feasible for physicians and clinic staff to meet and collaborate on PMH improvement projects
- Create and maintain accurate notes about PMH improvement projects (i.e. using Basecamp)
Coordination of patient care
- Support the coordination of patient care aimed at improving overall patient outcomes through the scheduling of patient appointments with Patient Care Team members
- Performing patient outreach as identified by improvement projects
- Ensuring notes are recorded in the EMR for physicians and clinic staff knowledge (i.e. documenting all interactions with patients to ensure open lines of communication between the HIC, physicians and clinic staff)
Education: The ideal candidate will have completed an accredited Health Information Management diploma program. Active or eligible for registration with the Canadian Health Information Management Association is required.
Experience and skills required: Minimum of two years’ healthcare experience, preferably in a primary care setting, is desired. Strong organizational and communication skills, as well as experience working within an inter-professional care team model, are required. Knowledge of and interest in primary health care and health promotion would be an asset. Previous experience in handling confidential or sensitive information is required.
Functional knowledge: Knowledge of medical terminology and experience with medical records management is essential. Ability to maintain filing systems and basic databases. Knowledge of applicable data privacy laws.
Technical: Experience with EMR systems required. Proficient in use of computers and other software (i.e. Excel, Open Office, Libre Office, etc.). Ability to learn new programs specific to the CWC PCN.
Organizational and problem-solving skills: Superior critical thinking, problem-solving and decision-making skills with the ability to respond quickly and decisively during emergent situations. Ability to manage time efficiently and prioritize tasks. Meticulous attention to detail and records maintenance skills. Excellent organizational skills. Must be flexible and adaptable toward change.
Communication and interpersonal skills: Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills in a multidisciplinary team environment. Ability to focus on excellent customer service with physician members, clinic management and staff. Ability to work effectively as a member of a high-performing team, maintaining a positive working relationship with team members.
- A valid drivers’ licence is required.
- Current Health Care Provider CPR through the Heart and Stroke Foundation is required.
- A clear Criminal Background check, inclusive of a vulnerable sector search, is required to start. If you have resided outside of Calgary in the past 12 months, you will need to contact the local police or RCMP detachment in your previous residential municipality to be able to obtain a full report.
Why Work for Us?
Employees of the CWC PCN enjoy a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes employer-paid premiums for health and dental benefits, health spending/wellness account, learning account, eligibility to contribute to our group RRSP plan and receive an employer match, flexible working options, generous vacation and personal time off allowances, and education days as well as professional development opportunities.
The CWC PCN is a leader in the provision of primary care through collaboration, innovation and teamwork, creating healthy patients and satisfied providers.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, only those who apply through the CWC PCN website will be moved forward in the recruitment process. This is a necessary step as we require some important information from our online application form. Please include your cover letter and resume when submitting your application.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.