Medical Office Assistant (Job ID: 20190501)
|Status: Full-time, permanent
Reporting to the Clinical Program Manager, the Medical Office Assistant (MOA) is responsible for providing administrative support to the Senior Services and Vulnerable Populations teams of the Calgary West Central Primary Care Network (CWC PCN), playing a key role in the organization and flow of clinic operations for the CWC PCN.
Patient booking and appointment preparation
- Process incoming referrals to programs, including initial review of eligibility requirements.
- Call referring physician’s office for updated patient demographics and confirm next of kin (NOK) contact for the patient.
- Assist with bookings for Senior Services and Vulnerable Populations teams; explain the importance of the visit to gain patient agreement for booking.
- Educate patient, and/or caregiver/NOK attending the appointment on what to expect from the appointment, and what/how to prepare for the initial assessment.
- Create patient appointment notification letters to referring physicians for all programs as required. Alternatively, create fax letters to referring physicians for missed appointments, inability to attend, cancellations, refusals or specific letters pertinent to patients declined from program.
- Book patients for specialist consultant assessments; coordinate invites to referring physicians for specialist rounds when their patient will be discussed. Prepare/transmit patient documents in preparation for specialist consultant’s appointments/rounds.
- Schedule reminder calls to contact patient/caregiver the week of the appointment. Ensure that no in-patient admissions will interfere with booking.
- Prep patient medical history from Netcare (event history, lab flow sheet, medication list history, Home Care info, consults, diagnostic imaging reports, etc.), linking all information to the patient’s chart.
- Maintain rooms between patients (cleaning).
- Receive, greet and direct program patients during their visit. Explain consent form to patients; answer any questions and record consent.
- Take patient vitals when they arrive for appointment including height, weight, tobacco status, and BPs. Attach all results to the patient’s file.
- Contact referring physician office, clinics, hospitals, labs, diagnostic centers or specialists for additional clinical information as needed.
- Assist with booking followup appointments when directed by team members.
- Followup or assist with individual patient’s visit needs, e.g., arranging transportation home, reminding them to bring certain items to followup appointments, etc.
- Process outgoing referrals to specific clinics, diagnostics, labs, programs and pharmacy prescriptions.
Post-appointment patient services
- Book appointments for diagnostic imaging if the patient is unable to do so. Followup with patient’s caregiver/NOK to ensure that they will be going to their specialist appointment, and followup with referral statuses.
- Make reminder calls to patient/caregiver the week of their upcoming specialist, lab or diagnostic imaging appointment.
- Receive, scan and distribute incoming mail, labs, consults, prescription requests, special authorization requests and diagnostic imaging reports to the team. Ensure the referring physician receives a copy of all these reports.
- Assist team members with sending consult letters to referring physicians as required.
- Assist in the training of new clinic MOA staff in shared duties.
- Participate in the cross-training of clinic MOAs to assist with Senior Services, Social Work and Vulnerable Populations teams duties
- Help cover the duties of other clinic MOAs during their absences.
The ideal candidate is an experienced front-office professional with prior experience as a front-line support person in a small to mid-sized organization.
Education: Post-secondary diploma or certificate in medical office administration is required.
Functional knowledge: Skilled at managing a front desk effectively and efficiently. Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office and familiarity with a basic telephone system. Knowledge of medical terminologies, billings diagnostic and service codes would be advantageous.
Experience: Minimum two (2) years of relevant experience in a physician office is required. Previous customer service experience would be considered an asset. Experience using an Electronic Medical Record (EMR) systems is preferred.
Organization skills: Ability to multi-task and prioritize. Strong organizational skills. Proven ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines in a highly challenging environment. Demonstrated attention to detail.
Communications and customer-relations skills: Outgoing, persistent and energetic. Strong communication, interpersonal and relationship-building skills; able to handle requests and complaints in a professional, non-confrontational manner. Excellent followup and problem-solving skills with ability to make intuitive decisions.
Attention to detail: Precision, accuracy, and high attention to detail in all aspects of work.
Team-oriented: Ability to work effectively independently as well as with a team.
Background check: A clear Criminal Background check, inclusive of a vulnerable sector search, is required to start. If you have resided outside of Calgary in the past 12 months, you will need to contact the local police or RCMP detachment in your previous residential municipality to be able to obtain a full report.
Why Work for Us?
Employees of the CWC PCN enjoy a competitive salary and benefits package that includes employer-paid premiums for health and dental benefits, healthcare spending or wellness account, learning account, eligibility to contribute to our group RRSP plan and receive an employer match, flexible working options, generous vacation and personal time off allowances, and education days, as well as professional development opportunities.
The CWC PCN is a leader in the provision of primary care through collaboration, innovation and teamwork, creating healthy patients and satisfied providers.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, only those who apply through the CWC PCN website will be moved forward in the recruitment process. This is a necessary step as we require some important information from our online application form. Please include your cover letter and resume when submitting your application.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.