Registered Nurse – Senior Services (Job ID: 20190717)
Status: Full-time, Temporary (One-year contract) | Vacancies: One | FTE: 1.0 | Schedule: Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Reporting to the Clinical Program Manager, and as a member of the Community Services, Transitions and Integration team, the Registered Nurse (RN) – Senior Services provides comprehensive nursing services to patients who are physiologically aged and/or elderly.
The RN – Senior Services provides an advanced level of nursing practice that maximizes the application of in-depth nursing theory, knowledge and skills to meet the complex healthcare needs of individuals, families and communities. The RN functions as a nursing practice leader and an expert practitioner and educator regarding the more complex geriatric population.
- The RN will use critical thinking and clinical judgment to coordinate and facilitate the assessment and management of patients within the Calgary West Central Primary Care Network (CWC PCN). Specifically, they will use a case management approach when assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating care needs. The RN will utilize the Electronic Medical Record (EMR) in maintaining accurate and timely records, documenting all phases of patient care.
- Responsibilities include providing clinical expertise to patients of CWC PCN physician members who have been referred to the Primary Care Centre. The RN works to full scope of practice delivering evidence-based care, assessments and interventions with an emphasis on providing comprehensive care, education and guidance to the elderly and their families. They are accountable for facilitating the transition of a patient’s care between and across services and providers including the transitions between acute, primary and community-based services. The RN will work collaboratively with all members of the Senior Services team and other stakeholders.
- Under the direction of the physician of record, works collaboratively within a multidisciplinary team to enhance the delivery of primary care services to patients 65 years of age and above and those over 55 years of age who are physiologically aged.
- According to practice protocols, performs and documents a comprehensive history and in-depth assessment of the health status including physiological, psychosocial, economic, learning, cultural and spiritual factors affecting health and well-being. Initiates and implements management strategies and provides appropriate evaluation, followup and modifications to care plans.
- Integrates scientific theories and current research and evidence from nursing and allied healthcare professions. Identifies and articulates the rationale for selecting interventions, and implements innovative approaches to support the health, learning and transitional needs of the individual, family and community.
- Works in collaboration with the family physicians and other members of the collaborative care team, or independently as appropriate, to assess and evaluate the needs of patients. Home visits and providing care in the patient’s home are key components of this role.
- Provides chronic disease management and mental health services within the context of geriatric care, incorporating monitoring progress and response to treatment, and promoting the preventive aspects of patient care. Provides necessary interventions within the scope of practice.
- Initiates appropriate investigations and community referrals to broaden the basis of support for patient, family and caregiver.
- Supports, fosters and implements evidence-based practice.
- In accordance with CWC PCN policies, procedures and established standards, employs expert consulting skills with nurses and other professionals in various clinical settings to directly and indirectly influence patient care.
- Works with the Clinical Program Manager to implement the CWC PCN primary care vision, outcomes, operational plans, systems, policies, protocols and metrics.
- Supports family physicians by keeping abreast of current trends in geriatric nursing within primary care and the dementia network of Calgary.
- Responsible for personal professional development through a variety of strategies highlighted in the performance management/personal development plan. Participates in CWC PCN education programs, clinical review meetings, and multidisciplinary and geriatrics program team meetings.
The ideal candidate is a Registered Nurse who has an advanced level of nursing expertise in geriatrics to maximize the application of in-depth nursing theory, knowledge and skills to meet the complex healthcare needs of geriatric individuals, families and communities.
Education: A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Nursing from an approved post-secondary healthcare program with an equivalent combination of training and experience in geriatrics is required. A Master’s degree in Nursing is an asset.
- If not already attained, must have a willingness to undertake the Canadian Nurses Association professional certification related to Geriatrics through the Canadian Gerontological Nursing Association.
- Certificates: Current Basic Life Support through the Heart & Stroke Foundation required.
Functional Knowledge: Demonstrated clinical skills in primary care nursing with evidence of own continued professional development. Proven ability to build good working relationships with healthcare professionals, patients and other members of the community. Knowledge of and ability to use EMR. Demonstrates ability to use equipment and supplies according to established standards and procedures.
Experience: A minimum of five years’ nursing experience specifically within gerontology/seniors with in-depth geriatric community services knowledge. Experience in chronic disease management is preferred, and ideally experience working in a primary care environment. Must have the ability to work independently, with minimal supervision, in a professional and mature manner.
Organizational skills: Ability to multi-task and prioritize. Strong organizational skills. Proven ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines in a highly challenging environment. Ability to work with fixed deadlines, cope with frequent interruptions and changes required.
Communications and customer-relations skills: Strong communication, interpersonal and relationship-building skills; resilient, able to handle requests and complaints in a professional, non-confrontational manner. Superior telephone manners. Demonstrated strength in developing collaborative, effective working relationships with clients of cultural and socioeconomic diversity. Ability to work independently and effectively within a multidisciplinary team. Shares information and responsibility and is not territorial.
Background check: A clear Criminal Background check, inclusive of a vulnerable sector search, is required to start (must be valid within 90 days). If you have resided outside of Calgary in the past 12 months, you will need to contact the local police or RCMP detachment in your previous residential municipality to be able to obtain a full report.
Safety conscious: Promotes a healthy/safe practice environment, recognizes safety issues and reports appropriately, and participates in correction and prevention action plans.
- A valid drivers’ licence and access to a reliable vehicle is required.
Why Work for Us?
Employees of the CWC PCN enjoy a competitive salary and benefits package that includes employer-paid premiums for health and dental benefits, healthcare spending or wellness account, learning account, eligibility to contribute to our group RRSP plan and receive an employer match, flexible working options, generous vacation and personal time off allowances, and education days, as well as professional development opportunities.
The CWC PCN is a leader in the provision of primary care through collaboration, innovation and teamwork, creating healthy patients and satisfied providers.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, only those who apply through the CWC PCN website will be moved forward in the recruitment process. This is a necessary step as we require important information from our online application form. Please include your cover letter and resume when submitting your application.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is selected.